Recruit A Friend is a referral system that allows you to invite friends to play World of Warcraft and receive exclusive in-game benefits when you play together.
If your friend accepts your referral, their new Starter Edition game account will be linked to yours, which qualifies characters on both accounts for Recruit A Friend benefits, including increased experience, character summoning, and level granting.
How to Recruit A Friend
To recruit a friend who does not have a World of Warcraft account or whose World of Warcraft account is fewer than 30 days old, follow the steps below:
- Log in to World of Warcraft on the character you want to play with your friend. Your recruit will be directed to join that character’s faction and realm.
- Open your Friends List and click the Recruit A Friend icon in the upper-right corner.
- The icon may not appear for up to 72 hours if your game account was recently upgraded from Starter Edition.
- Enter your friend's email address to send the email invitation, which will be valid for seven days from the time it is sent.
Note: The 90 day link will begin at the moment the Starter Edition is created. For example, if you link your accounts after the Starter Edition is active for 15 days, the link will last for 75 days.
The link between your accounts will be created as soon as your friend accepts your email invitation. The link will last for 90 days from the date their Starter Edition game account was created. If your friend does not receive the email, have them check their spam or junk folder, and their email filters.
Recruit A Friend will only work with World of Warcraft accounts referred and created after November 12, 2013.
The following Recruit A Friend rewards are only available for the 90-day link period after the recruit activates their World of Warcraft account. After 90 days pass, both players will stop receiving Recruit A Friend benefits and any ungranted levels will be lost.
Linked players can summon each other once every 30 minutes if their characters are on the same realm and faction, and if the summoned player is under level 85. To summon your friend to you, right-click their character portrait and select Summon Friend.
Note: Death Knight, Goblin, Worgen, and Pandaren characters cannot be summoned until they complete their starting experiences. Once they leave their starting zone, these characters can be summoned normally.
Experience and Reputation Boost
Linked players gain triple experience from kills and quests, and 10% bonus reputation from kills that grant reputation. To receive bonus experience and reputation, you must meet the following criteria:
- Both characters must be in the same party and within 100 yards of each other.
- Characters must be within 4 levels of each other and below level 85.
- Monsters and quests cannot be gray difficulty (trivial) for either character.
For every two levels a recruit player gains while the accounts are linked, they can grant one level to a character on the original player's World of Warcraft account. The recruit must log in to the character with grantable levels, right-click their friend's portrait, and select Grant A Level. The Grant A Level menu item will only appear when:
- The characters are in a party on the same realm and faction.
- The characters are within 100 yards of each other.
- The character granting the level is higher level than the character receiving the level.
- The character receiving the level is level 84 or lower.
- The character receiving the level has not disabled experience gain.
- Only levels earned through normal gameplay count for grantable levels. Levels earned through Character Boost do not apply.
Note: All grantable levels must be used before the 90-day Recruit A Friend link expires. Unclaimed levels are not moved during a character copy or transfer. Be sure to use them before you transfer.
|Recruit buys...||Veteran player receives...|
|One month of game time||One month of free game time|
|Two months of game time||One of eight epic mounts or pets (their choice)|
Veteran rewards are subject to a waiting period of seven days after the recruit purchases game time. To claim an earned reward, follow these steps:
- Log in to World of Warcraft. If you’re eligible to claim a mount or pet, you’ll see a notification that you’ve earned a Recruit A Friend Reward.
- Open your Friends List and click the Recruit A Friend button in the upper-right corner.
- Choose one mount or pet and click Claim Reward to have the pet or mount item delivered to your bags. If your bags are full, the item will be sent to your in-game mailbox.
Note: Promotion rewards can only be claimed 7 days after your friend is billed for game time. Credit card and PayPal subscriptions do not bill until after the account has used up all available game time (including free time from the promotion).
If you are not sure if your accounts are successfully linked, you and your friend should both log out of World of Warcraft and log back in. Then, try to summon your friend again.
If your friend created a World of Warcraft account fewer than 30 days ago, you can still link your accounts with Recruit A Friend! Follow the instructions under How to Recruit A Friend above to invite your friend to play with you.
Article ID: 483